What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a way of lightening the teeth by using a chemical agent that breaks down stain producing chromogens on the surface of teeth.
What is dental stain?
Stains are discolorations on the surface of teeth that are caused by multiple reasons. It may affect single tooth or multiple teeth. According to its formation, it may be categorized into the following two forms:-
- Extrinsic stains: It is the most common type of tooth discoloration on external surface of the tooth. These stains usually occur due to the excessive consumption of certain types of foods & beverages. It affects the enamel that causes discoloration in the teeth. Habits like smoking and tobacco chewing are also responsible for external stains.
- Intrinsic stains: Intrinsic staining primarily occurs during the tooth development. Intrinsic stains are those that cannot be removed through mechanical measures such as debridement prophylactic stain removal.
You can consult Sabka dentist for a detailed answer to your problem.
What causes tooth discoloration in adults?
- Smoking and tobacco chewing
- Increased frequency of drinking sugary and acidic liquids such as coffee, cola, tea, and red wine
- Poor oral hygiene that results in staining and calculus buildup
- Use of Mouthwash like Chlorhexidine, which can bind to tannins
- Trauma to the tooth, which results in staining as a result of pulp necrosis or internal resorption.
- Enamel Hypoplasia
- Amelogenosis Imperfecta
- Dentinogenesis Imperfecta
- Staining due to Tetracycline
But apart from the above reasons, teeth color can change with advancing age and time. The color of the teeth is also determined by the thickness of the enamel. With age, enamel becomes thinner. The thinner enamel layer delivers the impression of yellow teeth, which should not be mistaken for staining.