What is a crown for your tooth?
Crown, sometimes known as Cap, is an artificial dental restoration that fits over the remaining part of a prepared tooth or implant. Crowns reinforce the strength of the tooth and imitate t
Why do you need a crown?
Crowns are an ideal restoration for teeth that have been broken or weakened by decay or a very large filling. A crown could be used for many other reasons, for instance:
- You may have discoloration and would like to improve the appearance of the tooth
- Restore the form, function and appearance of badly broken down, worn or fractured tooth
- You may have had a root canal which may need a crown to protect what is left of the tooth
- It may help hold a bridge or denture firmly in place
- To reinforce a tooth with large cavity.
- To cover the dental implant
What is the best dental crown material?
Crowns can be made of a variety of different materials and new materials are continually being introduced. Some of the most popular options are listed below:
Porcelain bonded to metal (PFM):These crowns have a hybrid construction where porcelain is fused as a coat over metal. They are highly durable and thermal resistant.
All ceramic crowns: These crowns are made entirely out of porcelain or another type of ceramic. They are not as strong as metal crowns, but they can look natural and aesthetic. They are most often used for front teeth.
Zirconium crowns: • They are highly aesthetic, extraordinarily tough, metal free, 100 percent biocompatible and they bond well with tooth.
he morphology of natural tooth. The crown is bonded to the tooth with help of dental cement.